Please note that we are now closed.
FALL 2019: October 5-6 & 12-13
9:00am - 4:00pm all four days
SPRING 2020: March 11 - July 20
Wednesday - Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm
Saturday - Sunday 9:00am – 4:00pm
Closed Mondays & Tuesdays
ACCEPTED FORMS OF PAYMENT:
Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, Debit, Tap & Pay or cash.
No checks please.
PLEASE RESPECT OUR NO SMOKING & NO PETS POLICY FOR THE HEALTH, SAFETY & COMFORT OF ALL.
(734 Roy Moore Rd., Old Fort NC, 28762)
Painters Greenhouse is just off the beaten path - centrally located about 30 miles from Asheville, Lake Lure and Morganton, in Old Fort.
From Black Mountain, Asheville or Morganton:
Take 1-40 to Exit 73. If coming from the west, turn right off the exit, if from the east, turn left (you should pass the McDonalds). Go 2.5 miles on Bat Cave Rd., and turn right on Pine Cove Rd. (at the yellow Painters Greenhouse sign). Continue another 2.5 miles, and turn left on Roy Moore Rd. (another Painters sign). Customer parking is immediately on the left.
From Lake Lure:
Take NC 9N. Turn right onto Old Fort Rd. & follow 4.7 miles, past the Gateway Mountain entrance. (The road is called Bat Cave Rd. after the Gateway entrance.) Continue 3.9 miles and make a sharp left onto Roy Moore Rd. (next left after abandoned gas station, there is a small Painters sign). Continue on Roy Moore (straight through the intersection by the church) for approximately 1 mile. Pass the first parking lot (for deliveries and employees only), and continue to the main entrance for customers.
From the Spruce Pine area:
Take 80/221/226 south to US 70 W. Turn right on US 70 W and follow into Old Fort. Turn left at Catawba/Main Street, cross the train tracks, and pass McDonalds. Continue straight 2.5 miles on Bat Cave Rd. and turn right onto Pine Cove Rd. (at the yellow Painters sign). Continue another 2.5 miles,and turn left onto Roy Moore Rd. (another Painters sign). Customer parking is immediately on the left.
PREPARE FOR YOUR VISIT
- Click here for Painters' weather station - about half of our plants are outside, so it's helpful to have the forecast. Wear smart footwear and layer clothing - it could be 30 degrees warmer in the greenhouse!
- View our shopping tips document
for a summary of how we price items/notes on our sale season, as well as other general tips and guidelines for your visit!
- Visit our FAQ Page to learn some key components of how we operate.
- Bring family or friends and make an outing of it – the drive is pretty and we have several picnic areas near the gardens. Check the Calendar page to see if we have a food vendor set up!
- While in Old Fort, consider visiting the Mountain Gateway Museum, Historic Train Depot, Davidson's Fort, Arrowhead Art Gallery, or hike to the impressive Catawba Falls - arguably one of the most beautiful double waterfalls in WNC.
If you are heading back in the direction of Black Mountain or Asheville, consider taking the 'back way' on Highway 9 and eat at The Straightaway Cafe.